Today is the start of our 2016 Open Prep Cycle – Open Prep will start at the top and Regional Prep will appear at the bottom of the page.
This week kicks off our 2016 Open Prep Programming. We’re starting with a hypertrophy phase to help add some size before we start going heavy. Notice the introduction of numbers with brackets “” – this is the desired RPE (rate of perceived exertion) for that exercise. This will help control fatigue since our overall rep volume will be much higher.
For example, if you’re doing 5×12 back squats, you don’t want to go as heavy as you possibly can, otherwise you’ll be wrecked for a week… So you would push at a level of 8 and leave a little in the tank. Also, we’ll be using RPE to help control base, load, performance, and deload weeks.
Here are a few things to expect during this phase:
- Higher reps and complexes in the Olympic lifts
- 10-12 rep sets in the slow lifts
- We’ll be focusing on accessory work (you may even see some bodybuilding-style exercises show up)
- We’ll keep metcons / conditioning relatively low impact
A few other things to note about this cycle:
- When you see a superset, minimize your rest. Bounce immediately from one movement to the next and only take enough time for a handful of breaths and/or to slightly recharge.
- Don’t take a lot of time between exercises We’re not going to max lifts right away. Part of your aerobic conditioning will come from how fast you cycle between sections (A, B, C, etc), and supersets.
- That said, all reps should be performed with strict/near perfect form and NOT at metcon pace.
- Posting – Please use the Disqus app / comments section to post your workouts. It saves your comments and will allow you to go back, find previous lifts/workouts, and track your progress.
Every 2min for 16min:
(3 Pos Power Clean) x 2
*Start moderate and build into a heavy-ish complex
*On floor, no weight. These are acting as a corrective/glute activation drill
4×12 / leg
Perform all 12 on righ, and then all 12 on left
*Use a box/step/ledge. Go unweighted today. You can add weight next week
10×20 Cal Row 
*1min Walking Rest Between attempts
*Split into two sessions today
Every 30 sec for 5min:
1 Broad Jump (80-90% ME)
3 Attempts to establish a max broad jump
*rest as needed. 2 foot takeoff. 2 foot landing.
12min to build into a heavy-ish single
Hang Clean + Thruster
*Start moderate and build into a heavy single
4 RFT of:
10 GHD Sit-ups
10 RKBS (70, 53)
40 ft HS Walk
3 Rounds for time of:
15 Burpees over the bar
12 Deadlift (185, 130)
9 HPC (185, 130)
6 Front Squats (185, 130)
5min R&R Row or Airdyne